Virginia Place is the most well preserved of the few remaining carriage alleys in Allentown. The alley served as a delivery entrance for the Niagara White Lead Works (later the Cornell Lead Works), which operated on Delaware and Virginia Streets.
Virginia Place was then called Meech Street, after the family who lived at the end of the alley in this three-storey Victorian Romanesque home, built in 1871. Astraight-sided mansard roof is articulated by pediment headed dormers. The rounded three-story central bay has flat capped windows distinguished by stone lintels and sills in the first two stories. Two entranceways flank the bay; although it was unusual in a Victorian house for the primary and secondary entrances to be exhibited on the same building face, the massing of this structure seems to require the appearance of breadth imparted by the arrangement. The main entrance is fronted by an Eastlake style porch with turned posts, a foliate cut-out pediment and fan brackets, cover double doors accented by narrow elongated lights. The Eastlake porch lends an aura of home to this otherwise imposing building.
Because of its mass and severity, Romanesque styling is most often seen in churches and other buildings meant to impose a ponderous tone. Due to a fine control over its fines and proportions, as well as the addition of incongruous but softening detail, this is an excellent example of the style turned to residential use.
No properties were found on this street.